Our very own Eat-Clean Diet Ambassador Jill Holland is here today to share with you her tips for going back-to-school the waste-friendly way. She's got it right with her easy options for any number of college food nightmares. Take it away Jill...
|Jill Holland's got your back - to school that is!|
Here are some quick and simple tips to spare your waistline (and wallet), fill you with energy, and nourish your body. Let’s go!
• Make your own snack-size Ziplocs of nuts and seeds like unsalted/non-roasted almonds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. Buying in bulk gives you endless combinations of your own. Be creative.
• Fresh fruit like apples and pears are great portables in their own wrappers!
• Homemade protein or granola bars are nutritious snacks.
• Hydrate! Keep a re-usable (washable) water bottle handy. Hunger is often really thirst in disguise.
• Carry a food kit of cinnamon, stevia, green tea bags, single-serve 100% oats in a Ziploc, protein powder singles, fork, spoon, and collapsible bowl.
Cafeteria and Night Life
• Grab a salad with grilled chicken, or take your own hard-boiled eggs or tuna pouches (yes, there are some Clean, water-packed ones out there)
• Order a grilled sandwich, ditch half the bun and have them double the veggie topping!
• When ordering, don’t be afraid to modify. Speak up.
• Pack your lunch and snacks in a cooler bag for the day to keep you on track and save money. Some cafeterias offer access to microwaves, too.
• When heading out for the night, eat a healthy mini-meal before you go. Then order a small salad with the gang.
• Shop for fresh produce and lean meats with a friend and share the cost.
• Make the week’s food prep a social event with a pal.
• When studying in your dorm, make a healthy snack to share with friends, like trail mix, fresh veggies, or kale chips if you have an oven. They’ll catch on and follow your example.
• At meal times, surround yourself with friends who support a healthy lifestyle.
Check out these websites for snacks and easy meal ideas:
Wishing you every success in your academic year ahead! Study hard, Eat-Clean, and best of health!
Eat-Clean Diet Ambassador