Tosca Reno

Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Broth Cleanse

Most of you know I don't believe in cleanses as long-term answers to any problem, but they can often be useful for resetting the system or jump-starting a healthy-eating plan. I am joining my daughter on this cleanse for a few days to help her tummy troubles...

As you already know I am a HUGE soup fan and constantly have a pot of something brewing on the stove even in the summer.  There is an art to making soup though and it all starts with a good homemade stock.  My favorite is made from the bones of grass fed animals and this week I am in heaven because I just received my order of grass fed, hormone and antibiotic free beef and beef bones.  I requested bones so I could make bone based broth.  This a healing food in its own right.  Even as I write I have a huge pot of bone broth simmering on the stove.  Heavenly!!

Today we settle for soups or broths made from a bouillon cube or dumped out of a can.  I want to encourage you to go back to the art of making beautiful bone broth so you can perform your own magic in the kitchen making delicious home-made soup but also so you can drink the broth on its own to heal yourself from numerous digestive issues.  There are so many easily digestible, readily available nutrients in bone broth you are really missing out if you don't give it a try.

How do bones help you with healing?  Bones in all creatures are the great storehouse of minerals particularly calcium, phosphorus and magnesium.  Our soil and thus our food is severely demineralized today, as are we.  We need minerals for optimal health.  Placing 4 pounds of good quality beef bones in a large soup pot along with a few fat onions, carrots, celery, herbs, sea salt, whole black pepper, bay leaves and - my trade secret - one or two tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar, and allowing this combination to simmer away for at least 5 hours yields a nutrient dense stock.  How?  The long slow simmer with the help of the vinegar pulls the calcium and protein out of the bones and marrow.  These nutrients will be released into the stock making them available to you to consume.  Why do I care about your calcium so much?  Many of us need more minerals in our diet particularly calcium, phosphorus and magnesium.  Bone broth will deliver this.  Protein is also available in bone broth in a highly digestible form.  Healthy omega-3 and omega-6 fats will also be present as they simmer out of the marrow.

All of these nutrients live in your homemade bone broth and are nourishing enough in their own right that you can live on beef bone broth ONLY for a few days to "reset" your digestive system.  Toxins, drugs, alcohol, allergies, foods, cigarettes and other things we consume challenge the gut and often turn eating and digestion into a nightmare.  Bone broth is the answer to restoring gut health in many cases.  You may be amazed to discover not only how delicious this food is but at how good you feel after doing a three-day cleanse with it alone.  Your proof that bone broth is loaded with the highest quality nutrients lies in the pot - a good soup broth will always turn to gelatin in the refrigerator.  The gelatin is protein.

I am on day 2 and loving the feeling of lightness and the calm in my tummy.

To your good health,
Tosca

32 comments:

  1. So what are the steps to this cleanse. Do you only drink the broth for 3 days, six times a day? Do you add vegetables or anything to the broth? I have been following the eat clean lifestyle but had a couple of indulgent items over the weekend (vacation). I mostly made "clean" choices but since getting home I just feel like I need to cleanse myself from those indulgences!

    Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tab,
    You can follow for the cleanse for up to 5 days. Drink it as much as you need throughout the day. You may need a few litres.
    -Tosca

    ReplyDelete
  3. When on the cleanse is this all you need to consume (besides water)?

    Thank you...I promise this is my last question :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tosca...it looks like there are veggies in your broth, so what can we add to it to help us feel more full? I started a cleanse a couple of days ago and this is perfect..and I have tons of bones in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just consume this Tab. And Caralyn use whatever veggies you have and then simply drink the broth that develops from the simmering of the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi... Just wondering, Do you still get nutritional value if the beef bones are from, not grass fed beef?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tosca, while doing this detox can i still exercise and lift weights? Will i be weak and tired? And is that all eat all day?
    Thanks.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. We learned in cooking school to roast the bones in the oven first for a richer flavor and consistency to your broth

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am trying to figure out your Bone Broth. I do not see anywhere as to how much of each ingredients (ie: how much water, carrots, or herbs, etc) or what the herbs are, could you please enlighten me?

    ReplyDelete
  10. if you want a good recipe, check out Sally Fallon's book, Nourishing Traditions. there are probably versions of this stock recipe online as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought my soup bones at the local store in the meat department. They were already pre-packaged and weighed. If you can't find them just ask your butcher

    ReplyDelete
  12. what is the recipe for this cleanse?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Find a local farmer that raises grass-fed, antibiotic free beef and order bones from them. If you are in Central Florida, you can try Al Rosas of Rosas farms. (alrosas.com) That's where we get our meat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The broth smells amazing ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is there a recipe anywhere stating ingredients and measurements and serving quantities?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where/how do you request/order the bones from?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did not realize I was supposed to roast the bones before making the broth. Should I throw it out and start over?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I went ahead and threw out the first batch and am on batch #2. For those of you looking for a nice on-line recipe try this: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_beef_stock/

    ReplyDelete
  19. http://balancedbites.com/2011/04/easy-recipe-mineral-rich-bone-broth.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to make sure I do this right, so I have one question. You drink the broth and water?
    Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  21. If as a vegetarian, I cant do the bone broth, is there another option?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tosca, I followed your instructions for this except I did mine in the slow cooker over night. The broth came out very greasy and oily. What did I do wrong? I have a hiatal hernia and horrible bloat with it and would really like to have this broth. Please help!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nothing wrong. It is usual to skim the bones and cooked out veggies, then cool the stock or broth in a large covered bowl or pan in the refrigerator. As it cools, all the fat will rise to the top surface, and you carefully remover the solid fat from the top surface. The broth or stock will appear jellied. You can pitch the fat, but I freeze mine and add a tablespoon a day to the dog food. They think they are in dog heaven. For you, a cup or two at a time will be a serving, 5 to 6 servings a day, just like you would do your meals. It is really yummy. There is no specific recipe for making stock, although many people have set "recipes" on the net. Bones can be roasted or not, chunk your veggies, water to cover all - I add enough water to cover everything by 2 inches. Add the dry herbs in the beginning, if fresh herbs, add near the end of cooking. You can vary the veggies you use, although celery, carrots and onions are most common. You could also use turnips, parsnips, rutabagas. You do not need all of these. Skimming, chilling, and removing the solidified fat will make it look and taste better to you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Is there an alternative to this that is vegetarian friendly?

    ReplyDelete
  25. is there any mail order place online to order organic bones from that will ship in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can you use Turkey or Chicken instead of beef?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to know as well. I am allergic to beef (anything from a cow actually) and would like to know if it would be just as beneficial as the beef.

      Delete
  27. I can say that drinking bone broth has its benefits. It helped me with my joint pains and made me more energetic than before. Au Bon Broth has always been my go to because of how tasty it is,

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. they can often be useful for resetting. Mba Pay For Reaseach Papers the system or jump-starting a healthy-eating plan. this cleanse for a few days to help

    ReplyDelete



Tosca's Instragrams