Tosca Reno

Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tomato Soup Day

I don't know what it's doing in your neck of the woods, but in my backyard it is rainy and dreary. It doesn't feel like August at all! What a perfect day to whip up some homemade tomato soup.

A few days ago I went down to my garden to see if the tomatoes were in yet and to my delight I found so many ripe red wonders I had to use them up right then. I scooped them all up, pulled some onions, garlic, carrots, zucchini, herbs and kale and headed up the hill to my kitchen where my mom and I began to chop with vigour. Thanks for helping, Mom! You always make the best soup.

Read on for the recipe...


In-the-Garden Tomato Soup

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp coconut oil
3 pounds of fresh tomatoes (chopped coarsely)
6 carrots
2 big onions
1 head of garlic
6 stalks celery
1 cup Brussels sprouts
1 yellow zucchini
2 cups chopped kale
1 handful chopped basil
1 handful chopped parsley
2 cups stock (any kind will do as long as it is unsalted)
1 jar of canned tomato puree
2 teaspoons natural unrefined sea salt
A generous grating of black pepper

Method:
1. In a large soup pot I placed coconut oil and let it heat on low while my mom and I were chopped the vegetables.We placed all the veggies except the tomato in the coconut oil and turned up the heat.

2. We let the vegetables cook until they became slightly golden brown and the flavor was savory and rich.

3. Then I added the chopped tomato and canned tomato puree.  If you prefer a thinner soup add the stock and let the mixture heat through. Otherwise toss in the salt and pepper and let simmer until you can't stand the waiting anymore and have a delicious bowl.

MMMMMMM!  Nothing tastes better.  I love, love, love homemade soup.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! I love that there is basil in it. I have a little garden on my terrace, so I will get to use my fresh basil. Can't wait to taste how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm counting calories. Any clue on how many calories are in a serving of this deliciousness?

    ReplyDelete



Tosca's Instragrams