Tosca Reno

Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Workouts GOOD & BAD - Tosca & Rita Check In!

Helping each other along the way - through Good & Bad workouts!
Photo Credit: Paul Buceta
Hair & Make Up: Valeria Nova
From Tosca:
When I started this program of body reinvention with Rita, I worried aloud that I would occasionally miss a workout or perhaps more than one because my schedule has gone from manageable to ridiculous so fast.  I had gone through a stretch where I was ON all the time keeping my body super tight in preparation for appearances, expos and ultimately an Oxygen cover try in LA.  That final event included two full days of shooting, all of it high-energy stuff for the camera.  It was over the top fun with the early results looking good, but when I took that flight home from LA to Toronto, I was bagged.  What I was facing was a seminar for 600 women the next day and then getting back on a plane to fly out west again for a friend's wedding.

With two flights bumping me from coast to coast and back again, I was a mess.  The thought of hefting a weight over my head was improbable.  I just didn't want to do it.  So I dragged my feet down to the gym and managed a workout, but it was not spectacular.  I sort of pumped my biceps, moderately trained my triceps, did a little ab training and tossed in some shoulder work but none of it felt as if I was really training.  I barely pushed myself through the sets and reps Rita had laid out for me.  Barely!  I felt guilty because this was one of those workouts that Rita had warned me about before we began training for the contest in earnest.  She said, "Just so you know there will be good workouts and amazing workouts.  Some will blow your mind and others will just blow.  But that is all part of training."  So I kept that in the back of my mind.  I hate to rely on an out but it is nice to have one if you need it.

After two days had passed I decided to dial Rita in.  This was serious.  I only have 3 weeks to go before the contest.  A lacklustre attitude wouldn't help.  Rita advised me with her no nonsense approach that it was okay once in awhile to slough off, so give it a rest for a few days - three in my case - and then start again.  The rest and that attitude was just what the doctor ordered.  I rested and am now back in the game and cannot wait to blast out a good workout once again.

Keep it tight,
Tosca

From Coach Rita: Stop or Go?
I have had the pleasure and opportunity to take over a month and travel to Spain and visit my husband’s family, friends and hometown. It has been an amazing experience that is unfortunately coming to an end. Although mentally the break was more than welcome,  physically my body has had to go through many adaptations including a lot more walking, less resistance training and longer hours awake trying to fill every precious gap with visits to family, friends or local favourite spots. On many occasion my head would tell my body that it is time to work out - but my tired body would tell my head it was exhausted. What was I to do? Give in to the “weakness” of the body, or “push” through and find some inner strength to push out a half-a$$ session?

Tosca has been going through similar struggles with her regime. After training and following a strict regime to get to her cover-try photo shoot (in which she shined like a star), she starting experiencing the same “lack of drive” training sessions between excessive travel, work and family commitments. She asked me the same question I asked myself this very trip - “should I push through the workout, even though my body says no?” My answer to her, and alas to myself was NO.

Listening to your body and the cues it gives you is very important. At night when your eyes feel heavy as lead and you struggle to keep them open to finish the movie, it is better to listen and fall asleep - don’t fight to stay awake. The same happens with your body. If your body is so exhausted that the workout is being compromised, it is better to take 1, 2 or 3 days off, work on your mental and spiritual health, and go back to the iron with a newly found sense of drive, energy and focus. Don’t worry about “lost” time, there is no clock ticking. You owe it to yourself and your body to pay attention to the subtle (or not so subtle) signals it sends your way.

On the other side of the coin, there is a difference between your body’s real need for a break, or your mind's intelligent way of convincing and persuading yourself not to get yourself to the gym or training session. The first one is a real need and the latter an excuse ☺

Be honest with yourself, listen to your body, know the difference between real exhaustion and just plain laziness, and take care of the inside as well as the outside. As I said to Tosca, take a couple of days off, meditate and write down your goals. This morning she was back at it - 5am and more motivated than ever. I’m glad she listened to her coach - and more importantly her own body.

Proud of you and every step of your journey Tosca,
Signing off for the last time from Spain,
Coach C

3 comments:

  1. I, too, say "Proud of you and every step of your journey, Tosca."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Listening to your body is so important and often overlooked. It's not always the easiest thing to do mentally, but it's always beneficial in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! this post came at a perfect time for me.....several off days working out.....time off... not enough time off.... off again. Will be patient with myself.

    ReplyDelete



Tosca's Instragrams