Tosca Reno

Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

My Journey to Wellness

I am really excited to feature yet another of our fabulous male Eat-Clean Diet guest bloggers - Mr. Andrew Bukowsky. He has a great story to share about how he turned from drab to fab even in the midst of shift work. Share his story with the men in your life who need a little change of focus. 
Andrew before and after in competition shape.
For me, it all started a little over a year ago, when I found my health and fitness levels were at their lowest in my life.  Growing up, I was extremely active, playing many different sports and exercising in the gym four or five days a week.  After graduating from high school, I began managing a restaurant full time.  With shift work and long hours, I no longer made time for sports and exercise in my routine.  Being surrounded by food that is focused only on flavor and little regard to healthy living, I quickly found myself adding on weight and becoming very self-conscious about my appearance.

At the time, I was very experienced with cooking good food, but had little understanding of how to eat clean and keep the food tasting great.  This is when I found Tosca Reno’s The Eat-Clean Diet.  I found this book made such a huge impact on my eating habits and ability to begin cooking healthy, without sacrificing enjoyment of the meals.  Some of the dishes I truly enjoyed right away were the Egg White and Turkey Scramble, Eat-Clean Chicken and Rice and for my sweet tooth, Summer Rice Pudding (reminded me of my mom’s homemade rice pudding growing up).

After beginning this journey to wellness, it inspired me to seek the assistance of a personal trainer, to further improve upon my healthy living.  I quickly went from the worst condition of my life, to ultimately my best physical health and conditioning.  This even led to me competing in Men’s Physique fitness competitions, making it all the way to Nationals in my first year of competing.  Thank you Tosca for your help in helping get me started on my journey.

Find me on my blogTwitterFacebook and my Facebook Page.

And don't miss my tasty recipe... Zucchini Protein Pancakes

Ingredients:
2 large zucchini
2 medium onions
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery
1 cup Quick Oats
1 cup spelt flour (you may skip and use 2 cups of oats or oat flour)
1/3 cup Hemp Hearts (Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds from Costco or may use ground fibre powder)
1 box (500 ml) liquid egg whites
4 large Eeggs
1 Tbsp pepper
1 Tbsp prganic No-Salt Seasoning (Costco) or your favourite Mrs. Dash

Directions:
1. Shred zucchini, celery and onions.
2. Add minced garlic and the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
3. Use 1/3 cup measure to scoop mixture and fry using olive-oil spray.
4. Serve with Greek yogurt, homemade tomato sauce or hummus. DELISH!!!

For a little variety, I have added chopped jalapenos to a separate batch for a spicy twist. I chopped 3 jalapenos with seeds and all and mixed in. A little hot but so good!

Yields: 24 pancakes

Nutritional Value per Pancake:
Calories                80        
Fat                       2.4gr
Sodium                 50mg
Carbs                    8.8gr
Fibre                     2gr
Sugar                   1.25gr
Protein                 5.7gr


6 comments:

  1. Great story, Andrew. I sort of 'stumbled' across the Eat-Clean diet myself this year in March. I kept seeing it mentioned in my FB fitness groups and one day I just went out and bought it to see what all the fuss was about. I have never looked back!

    I love the looks of your recipe... a savoury pancake? My husband, who already loves the quinoa protein pancakes I make for him, will probably love this one as well. Thanks!

    Regards, Tasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tasha. I know what you mean about the Eat Clean Diet. I love the information and recipes that are provided in each of the books. After using it so much over this past year, it has really kick started my creative juices, when making my own clean recipes.

      As for the savoury pancake, I am sure you and your husband will love it. Let me know how it turns out!

      Andrew

      Delete
  2. You look great. What an amazing transformation. What would you say kept you inspired the whole time? Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jojo, thank you for your comments! There are so many things that kept me inspired. One major inspiration for me, was that my Dad had passed away when I was only 3 years old and he was not even 40 years old. I am approaching that age and realized I was travelling along a road of unhealthy living. I wanted to make sure I would be here for my wife and daughter for a long time to come. Support from friends and family is truly immeasurable. Once againg, thank you!

      Andrew

      Delete
  3. Love this! It's stories like this that keeps me going and excited to Eat Clean! My baby girl is 6 months old - I ate Clean all throughout my pregnancy and only gained 20 pounds! After I gave birth to my baby, I continued to Eat Clean and I was able to provide my baby with an amazing abundance of breast milk because of all the greens I ate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing to hear Jinelle. When eating clean becomes a lifestyle, it allows us to stay consistant on working to achieve our goals. Keep up the great work! Congratulations on the new baby also!

      Andrew

      Delete



Tosca's Instragrams