Tosca Reno

Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lowering Blood Pressure with Clean, Vegetarian Food

Today's Eat-Clean Diet Vegetarian Cookbook guest blogger is Tanya Lewis.


 She shares with us her achievements in lowering blood pressure following a Clean, vegetarian diet. Don't miss her yummy morning smoothie, too.
Gorgeous and glowing Tanya Lewis!
Tosca Reno has been a huge health inspiration for me since I began reading her "Raise the Bar" column in Oxygen magazine.  I learned from her that family is always a top priority and that weights are fabulous for women.  She has shown me that words can inspire others and how to handle negativity with grace. In recent years I have been reading her Eat-Clean Diet books and was so excited to learn that she was expanding the series with her new vegetarian cookbook.



I began following a plant-based diet a year ago (mostly vegan- but the word vegan seems to strike terror and confusion into people). At 39 I made changes when my blood pressure would not come down. It was alarming due to my family's history of heart disease. I began reading Dr Dean Ornish's research that I had the potential to prevent heart disease through - FOOD?? Crazy?? But I thought I would give it a try. So out went meat, dairy, chicken, fish and eggs.

Then I began the biggest culinary adventure of my life. It has given me the rewards of average blood pressure (my biggest achievement), better digestion, higher energy and "better than average" cholestrol praise from my doctor.

  I do have my challenges and struggles. My meat eating boys and my arch enemy -SUGAR!! I am still learning to cook with beans, legumes and tofu.

My goals this year are getting rid of more processed foods and eating cleaner. By doing this I hope to lose 30 pounds. With these challenges and new goals I embrace Tosca Reno's new Eat-Clean Diet Vegetarian Cookbook.

I always love getting more inspiration and ideas.

Here is my morning smoothie to share with you...

Tanya's Vegan Morning Smoothie

Ingredients
1/2 a frozen banana

1/2 a cup of frozen blueberries

1 tbsp of flax seeds

2 tbsp of hemp seeds

1 scoop of Vegan protein powder

Methods
Blend and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great post and I am definetly going to try your smoothie!!! You are an inspiration Tanya, don't eveer change!

    ReplyDelete



Tosca's Instragrams