Saturday, October 8, 2011
One of my favorite recipes comes from The Eat-Clean Diet Favorites - Stuffed Pumpkins on pg. 78. If you have the book you can check it out on page 78. If not, grab my freebie recipe here... And if you like check you can purchase the book here, at your local news stands, or for your mobile device on Zinio.
Read on for the recipe & Happy Thanksgiving Weekend!
Prep Time: 17 minutes
Cook Time: 60-90 minutes
1 x 4.5 lb/2kg sugar pumpkins or 6 small sugar pumpkins
2 tsp/10 ml sea salt
1 tsp/5 ml dry mustard
1 Tbsp/15 ml extra virgin olive oil
1.5 lb/672 g lean ground venison or bison
7 green onions, trimmed and chopped
4 cloves garlic passed through a garlic press
1/5 cups/360 ml cooked wild rice
4 egg whites + 1 yolk, beaten
1 tsp/5 ml dried sage, crumbled
1/2 tsp/2.5 ml freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit/177 degrees Celcius.
2. Cut the top from each pumpkin and remove seeds and strings. Prick the inside flesh with a fork. In a small bowl, mix the sea salt and dry mustard. Rub the interior of the pumpkin with this mixture. Set pumpkin(s) aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add ground meat, onion and garlic. Saute over medium high heat until meat is browned. Remove from heat. Add cooked wild rice, eggs, sage and pepper. Mix well with clean hands. Stuff each pumpkin with the meat/rice mixture.
4. Place the pumpkin(s) in a shallow baking dish or lasagna pan. Add water until half of the baking dish is full.
5. Bake for 1-1.5 hours or until pumpkin(s) are tender. If using individual pumpkins, cooking time may be shorter. It using a large pumpkin, cooking time may be longer. When serving a large pumpkin, cut it into six wedges and serve. When serving individual pumpkins, place on individual dinner plate.
Nutritional Value Per Serving:
Calories from Fat: 99
Total Carbs: 30g
Total Fat: 11g
Posted by Tosca Reno at 10:51 AM