|My first sushi attempt.|
I spent the day with my family at home setting up patio furniture, enjoying some sunshine (finally!) and enjoying an Asian-inspired meal put together by my kids.
My daughter Kiersten taught me how to make sushi, while Rachel whipped up Garden Spring Rolls from Your Best Body Now (see recipe below), Kelsey-Lynn stir-fried, and Chelsea set the table with chopsticks, soy sauce bowls, and poured sparkling pink champagne!
We used white, sticky sushi rice for better outcome, but ultimately I would like to perfect using brown rice. I tried a roll yesterday and it wasn't sticking well enough. Any tips?
Many thanks to my girls for making the day so enjoyable.
Read on for pictures and my recipe.
|The sushi before cutting.|
|Yummy Garden Spring Rolls!|
|Kelsey-Lynn's stir fry ingredients.|
|Sushi after cutting!|
Garden Spring Rolls & Dipping Sauce (Your Best Body Now pg. 263)Spring Rolls
2 packages rice-paper spring roll wrappers (20 wrappers)
1 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup bean sprouts
1 cucumber, julienned
1 red bell pepper, stem & seeds removed, julienned
4 green onions finely chopped, use only the green part
1 large bowl hot water
1. Soak 1 rice-paper wrapper in a large bowl of hot water until softened.
2. Place a pinch each of carrots, sprouts, cucumber, bell pepper and green onion on the wrapper toward the bottom third of the rice paper.
3. Fold ends in and roll tightly to enclose the filling.
4. Repeat with remaining wrappers. Chill before serving.
1 clove garlic
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 tbsp coarsely grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar (not seasoned)
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
Pinch each of coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp water
1. Combine garlic, carrot, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and both types of pepper in a food processor and blend until smooth.
2. With machine running, add vegetable oil and then water through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream.
3. Chill and serve sauce with spring rolls.