Wow! What a great response I received from my canning post the other day. I had no idea so many of you are interested in finding the time to whip up delicious jarred creations to enjoy all year long. The chill in the air always drives me to the stove. I love to put food up. Not only do I can tomatoes but I pickle beets and cukes, make low-sugar jams and relishes and more.
I just completed a batch of tomatoes and I will be doing more on Saturday after I return from NYC (I'm here starting promotions for Your Best Body Now which debuts September 28th). I will use onions, garlic and herbs from my own garden to flavor the sauce... I'll be posting my canning recipe on my website very soon so stay tuned! It may seem like work and it is but it is satisfying because I know it is an investment in both my health and my time.
Time you ask? Yes! Once the tomatoes are sauced you have a natural version of Fast Food which is even faster because it's already in your house. Here are some yummy ideas to make your next quick meal.
1. Open a jar to serve with pasta - a meal in minutes.
2. Use the sauce as a base from which to make tomato soup.
3. Grill a few chicken breasts and top with jarred sauce.
4. Bake a regular or sweet potato and top with sauce.
5. Chop kale and or Swiss chard. Saute in olive oil until limp, toss with jarred sauce.
I will take many pics when I get "sauced" on Saturday. Stay tuned!