Dr. Vinay Goyal is an MBBS, DRM, DNB (Intensist and Thryoid Specialist) who shares the following insights as to how to prevent or mitigate H1N1 and other flus.
While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu).
1. Frequent hand washing (well highlighted in all official communications).
2. “Hands-off-the-face” approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of the face (other than eating, bathing)
3. Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (Listerine is fine if you don’t like salt). H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/nasal cavity to proliferate (grow) and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. Gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don’t underestimate the effectiveness of this method.
4. Clean your nostrils at least once every day using Q-tips dipped in warm salt water. You can also use a Netti Pot.
5. Boost natural immunity with foods loaded with vitamin C.
6. Drink many warm liquids including tea, coffee and hot water with lemon. Doing so helps clear viral populations by sweeping them down into the stomach where they are not able to survive.
All of these simple procedures are suggested by the good doctor. I have just gargled with salt water myself.
To your good health,